Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I am fixing my tire!!!!!!!

I've been driving with a slow leaking (left) rear tire for almost 6 months now.
I bought a brand new car when I graduated from college in 2004, and even though I told myself and my dad I would baby it, I really dont pay all that much attention to it. I managed to travel 24000 miles in these 3 years which is well below the average I'd say. Having a new car under warranty helps if you hate going to the mechanic and dealing with the BS quotes and hustling that goes along with it. So far I only needed to change oil and do regular 20000 mile service. But then this tire thing keeps bothering me. Every weekend I abandon my plan to fix it and rather go for a bike ride, and by the time I am back home, you can forget about getting in and out within an hour. So I postpone........over and over again.
I had to borrow a compressor from my boss, use my bicycle pump, drive for blocks with little air until the next gas station only to find out that the air machine is not working or that I don't have enough quarters to get it going. All in all, it's inconvenience but I manage. Until today!
I had to visit a vendor in Elk Grove Village who does teflon coating for the project I am working on. Since I was low on air, I stopped by a gas station looking to air up. Ahead of me in the line for air was this older man with long gray hair and a long gray beard, who seemed very clumsy. His tires were, in my opinion, sufficiently inflated but he decided to check the pressure in all of his tires with the little 2.99 gage and inflate them to the "suggested" kbar-age. I am rather a patient man and despite wanting to get out of there in 2 mins, I found his dropping of the hat every time he bent over, his inability to figure out how to read the gage, running out of air time and having a hard time putting a quarter into the machine very comical. After the 4th quarter a line had formed behind me and I kept laughing, now out loud. When he sat down on the pavement to get a better reach, I knew it was time to move along and look for a different station. I made it to Elk Grove in time but I promised myself that I will fix the damn tire.....this weekend for sure.

No comments: