Monday, August 11, 2008

Not so lucky this time.

It was gonna happen anytime now for sure. Woke up late Saturday morning and skipped the race in Grayslake, enjoyed a nice breakfast at The Grind, and then dressed up for a late morning ride on the lakefront path. By 11 am it was already busy and I rode slowly to avoid any trouble. Just before the Navy Pier on the banked section of the path, I was passing people up above the southbound lane when some kid made a sudden U-turn into me and after a little balancing act I ended up falling over. Scraped my elbow and thigh, but nothing too major. The lifeguard gave me some alcohol pads and gauze and I administered first aid to myself, reminiscing with her about my 3 summers as a Chicago Park District guard. The good old times!
I raced on Sunday in Glencoe, chip timing and all. Thirty plus lined up. Nice course with two narrow turns (#2 and final turn), basically 90 degree on small side streets. You hade to make the turn precisely or you're on the grass. Very first lap, turn #2, guys in front of me go into the turn too fast/wide one hitting the curb and falling on the grass, the other braking in panic and falling over sideways-right in front of me.
I unclipped, stuck my foot out and came to a stop. The speed was low and I kept it up, but had no way to go around as the field sped away. Now, the rule says if you get stuck behind a crash, you chase. So I chased, not succesfully though. This was not what I needed considering all my crappy performances but that's life. I came close to bridging up on the 3rd lap, but at that point I was getting gassed and settled into my own pace riding to finish. Anyway, I finished the race, getting lapped after 26-27 mins of riding solo. They gave me 26th place finish. It sucks but it's all part of the experience.
My evening went much better as I watched Jeepers Creepers (I and II) on Ch.50, had some delicious lentil soup my friend made, and saw Meat Puppets play at the West Fest. Serenity Now!

No comments: