Friday, August 29, 2008

Swiftboat that!!!!!!!

"Hey what's up dude?, haven't talked to you in a while whatcha up to?"

"I am watching the convention, Obama is supposed to speak in an hour."

"Come on, it's all the same BS, politicians doing their thing, promises blah blah they just wanna get elected and then it's all the same. Let's watch the game!"

This is a conversation I had with my buddy, myself being the one watching the convention.
I am neither young and naive to be starstruck by Barack Obama or old and cynical to be indifferent to the upcoming election. I, and noone else in their right frame of mind can afford not paying attention. What has happened to this country in the last 8 years is scary, on all fronts and time is running out if we want to preserve what is left of the great dream and source of hope that my family saw in America when we moved here in 1994. We had a choice to move to any other European country after my native Bosnia-Herzegovina was englufed in a horrible war. Instead, we came to the USA. The Star Spangled Banner that I used to see being raised a lot in the Olympics and the flag that Rocky wrapped himself in when he beat the crap out of Drago - was now my flag. Not to get into the last 14 years of my life here, but I have become a citizen of this country not just for the fact that I carry a US Passport, but that I care about the direction this country is going in and the well being of its citizens.
After last night's speech at the DNC, I am excited about a possibilty that this nation has produced a leader who can revive the dream and hope I want my kids to have living in this country. It has nothing to do with Obama's race that made last night's speech historical, it was its content. He said everything that I wanted to hear, from the social issues I am passionate about and the foreign policy strategy that has caused so much travesty in the last 8 years.

Throw all the media hype and great oratory skills away, this man is for real (just like the first time I saw him speaking at the Daley Plaza at an anti war rally during my college days when the rest of the Dems were scared to stand up) and millions of American people see that. If it took 8 years of misery to bring this about, I would say that it was almost worthed - but I know better.

Swiftboat that Karl Rove!!!!!!!!

No comments: