Friday, August 22, 2008

Tickets for cyclists.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-bike-laws-crackdown-webaug22,0,3716423.story

Hey!

Here is an article from yesterday's Tribune. As much as I sympathize with the lack of respect we as cyclists get on the roads, especially when training, I do feel that it is getting kinda congested on the city streets. I drove to Wicker Park last weekend on a friday night and the number of irresponsible cyclists (and those walking their bikes as if though they were fashion accesssories) is disturbing. No helmets, no lights....no brakes in some cases, wearing dark clothes, weaving through traffic......come on. Lakeview/Lincoln Park area is no different, other than they are riding mountain bikes shirtless wearing Cubs hats. More effort needs to go into education of urban cyclists/commuters on proper behaviour in traffic and raise awarness of dangers of urban cycling. It is admirable that more people are getting out and riding but WE SHARE THE ROAD, and there are rules to follow.
I stop at red lights, I try to be a safe defensive cyclist if not for anything but for my own good.
As much as it would suck to get pulled over, I think some people will not get a clue until they have to pay up. Better than losing a life or carrying a burden of taking a life because of someone's lack of good judgement.

No comments: